Re: [Tigers] To Restore, or not Restore, that is the question

To: Jeffrey Nichols <jxnichols@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] To Restore, or not Restore, that is the question
From: Clarkwgriswold <clarkwgriswold2nd@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 10:43:07 -0600
Back to your original posting jeff, everybody gets their two cents. Here's
mine: aside from the whole alger issue.....ANYTHING can be saved with enough
time, money, and dedication. And there no shame in it when that car is
started, mid process or finished. All of these classics are saved at some
level. If one person has a generally nice car that needs a front valance, as
most do, their car was "saved" from death on some level. If this car on eBay
needs repairs that when done will make it "less of a car", then so does the
car that needs only the valance or new fender. If someone bought this car on
eBay, and dedicated their own time and money to put it back on the road, power
to them, and they have my deepest respect for doing so. It takes more
automotive technical knowledge and commitment to save a car like this than it
does to save one that just needs a repaint with new gaskets. And nothing
worthwhile is easy. Not to say that there is anything wrong with simple or
cleaner restorations, as there is no "easy" restoration, but there should be
no outcasting of that builder or car.

As an example, if I recall correctly, Shelby built two of those twin
supercharged 427 roadsters. The survivor, his personal car recently brought
5.5 million at auction. The other one, the black one, changed hands a few
times by way of Bill Cosby and a few others. The way I heard the story, the
last owner drove it off a cliff at speed and killed himself. The car was a
total loss, waded up in a ball alot smaller than this tiger. But it is being
"restored" and it's rebirth is highly anticipated. Why should a famous car be
worth saving and this one not? This car might be some kids dream car and the
thought of saving it is everything to him. Let him do it and let's celebrate
the notion.