Re: [Tigers] To Restore, or not Restore, that is the question

To: Clarkwgriswold <clarkwgriswold2nd@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] To Restore, or not Restore, that is the question
From: Tom Parker <tkparker1941@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 12:38:42 -0500
Clark,

Of course you're right; given enough time and money any car can be rebuilt.

The other side of the coin is this: at some point there's a financial
decision to be made: either will the car be worth more than the cost of
repairs or will the satisfaction of owning / driving the car be enough to
offset the cost. A basic rule of thumb, based on personal experience is when
you decide on a restoration project and fix a cost in your mind, double it.
you may be close to what it will actually cost. If you can't stand the cost,
don't do the project.

There are a lot (given the number of actual tigers left) of relatively nice
Tigers in the $25 - $50 thousand range. Looking at the pictures of the car
on E-Pay I don't see how the body can be rebuilt for less than @ $25K unless
the new owner is an accomplished body man. It could be less if the car is
"rust free", but those are rare, if they exist at all. Given that the engine
(and probably the transmission) are gone a $5,000 price tag may be a bit
high, if the new owner expects to recoup his / her expenses.

Tom

' 67 Mark 2 that's been there.