Re: [Tigers] Looking for Sending Unit

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Looking for Sending Unit
From: "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 15:11:08 -0800
Most sending units develop a varnish on them that increases resistance or
insulates the windings on the resistive wire. There "may" be some chemicals
that will remove it. I typically clean with a very fine sandpaper.

Another issues can be poor electrical contact. Cleaning and soldering any
connection joint should restore continuity.  Often I have soldered a shunt
wire (very flexible wire) from the ground base to a location near the wiper
contact for intermittent senders.

Lastly, sometimes they leak at the internal to external electrical
connector.  A few years ago I needed to install a fuel return line for my
Turbo Pinto.  I elected to drill a hole in the sender unit and attach the
return there using a piece of steel tubing (it was a whole lot safer than
soldering/welding to the tank).  Unfortunately the heat from soldering
compromised the electrical internal/external seal.  After significant
searching I opted to use JB Weld to re-seal the connector. Two years later
and no leak!

If the float is brass I have had success with soldering holes. If
plastic...,  ahhhh..., well..., I have also used floats from other senders.
I'm sure there is something "generic" available out there.

So, the sender can be quite easily overhauled.  While I have spoken
generically, most senders are about the same.

Lastly if you "dial in" your sender set it for "near empty" accuracy rather
than full.  I think this is self explanatory.
Tom