Re: [Tigers] Need help with header decision.

To: <wsamouce@kc.rr.com>, "Tiger's List" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Need help with header decision.
From: "Buck Trippel" <BuckTrippel@Verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 11:58:55 -0800
Hi Duke,

I have 3 Tigers, each with a different header/exhaust manifold.

I run the CAT headers on our race Tiger with a 289 that probably produces
power in the range your stoker will. I have had no complaints.

The CAT headers have a tube diameter of 1-5/8" while the SS headers are
1-1/2".

CAT headers have merged collectors while the SS don't.

CAT headers fit an unmodified Tiger. I did not have to grind a motor mount
or anything like that. They simply dropped in. I don't own a set of SS
headers so I can't comment on them.

The CAT headers should be test fit before coating. You may want to dimple
the side of the tube near the flange to accommodate whatever fastener you
choose to use. I use very small fasteners with a 3/8" head so the dimpling
was quite minimal. A standard Craftsman spark plug socket fits fine on all
plugs without any modification.

I've heard the torque theory before. However Alex Gabbard actually took the
time to measure the before and after. He posted the results on this list
last year. He compared a motor with the cast stock manifolds against the CAT
headers. In theory the stock manifolds should have produced lots of torque.
Instead the dyno showed that the CAT headers produced a lot more torque.
What's the old engineering expression? All the theory in the world goes out
the window with one good test? I applaud Alex for taking the time to make
the comparison as well as freely sharing it with the list.

good luck,

Buck