[Tigers] Thermostat

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Thermostat
From: "James Lindner" <jliny5@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 22:09:10 -0400
Hi All,

In some previous postings I have mentioned my Mk1 is tending to run a bit hot
(220 or thereabouts) and recently has overflowed some coolant through the
expansion tank hose. Seems OK on highway but in traffic or when idling it
really heats up. I have check all hoses and retightened the fan belt. As for
the fixes in the seminal Tiger Cooling article...I have a six blade fan and I
have covered the horn holes. I have not installed the full shroud-yet.
Radiator was recored by PO in 2001 but I do not know how many rows.

As further background I have a 260 with the Edelbrock F4b intake, Holley 4160
4bbl (465 cfm), and the LAT 20 Hi-perfromance cam.

The PO told me he used a 180 degree thermostat, but it must be at least 5-8
years old I would think. I was thinking of replacing the thermostat as the
next step in trying to improve cooling.

Question: What is the consensus on the temp rating for a thermostat for the
260 with my set up? Part number?

Any other thoughts are always welcome. I would be up the creek w/o paddles if
it were not for the input I get from the list.

Jim Lindner

OBTW: Stalling problem previously posted this week seems to be corrected after
I adjusted carb float levels, idle mixture, and curb idle. Also double checked
conenctor bolts and did vacuum test which was OK. Thanks.

tigers@autox.team.net