Re: [Tigers] Brake question

To: "'Stu Brennan'" <stubrennan@comcast.net>, <Tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Brake question
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 13:41:53 -0400
Stu
        Unfortunately there could be many causes for your brake drag.  More
details are needed to make a long distance call from the List.

Pads too thick - quick look @ what I have around indicates the total
thickness of the pad and backer plate = .60" but I don't know the original
spec or tolerance.
New rubber wrong thickness or style
New rubber is not placed correctly but I would think you would see a fluid
leak in this case
Contamination of the brake fluid
Bad return spring in the master; master is hanging up
Brake servo hanging up
Calipers hanging up
Brake pads hanging up

        The first step I would do is take a short trip with several brake
stops, return and take a look at the brakes.  If they are real bad you might
not make it past your driveway.
        The best case would be that the caliper pistons and pads were
slightly at an angle and just needed to be trued with some real brake
action.  If the brakes are still dragging I would put the old set of pads or
at least a thinner set of pads in to see if they are also dragging.  If the
brakes are still dragging then it is probably not the pads but something up
the line somewhere.   Now you need to inspect and evaluate each part of the
system for function, correct operation and if both side are acting the same
or not.

This is one of those cases where it would be nice to know the original
specification and dimension of parts for comparison.  I believe this
information is available at the Rootes Archive in England but I don't know
how readily available it is online at this time.

Ron Fraser