Re: [Tigers] Electronic Ignition

To: "Robert J. Wanty" <rjw@wengco.com>, <Tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Electronic Ignition
From: "Buck Trippel" <BuckTrippel@Verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2011 10:26:42 -0700
Hi Bob,

First, for street use, I'd suggest a distributor with a vacuum advance.

Second, I'd suggest either putting the dual point on eBay or on the shelf.
(They are bringing some nice $$.)

Most car part stores sell rebuilt distributors for less than $50. If you
chose an early Ford Dura spark you'd have a much more accurate electronic
trigger than you'd get with a Pertronix. However you'd still need a way to
generate the spark (a feature which is already built into the Pertronix).
This could be anything from a $10 GM HEI module through a MSD box. The
former would perform at least as well as a Pertronix I and the latter will
out perform the Pertronix III in every way. In my experience, both of these
would be more reliable than the Pertronix setups.

If you chose a HEI/Dura spark and something broke on a road trip, any parts
store could get you fixed up (which is part of the reason I use the Dura
spark/HEI on our street Tigers). With the Pertronix you may need a motel
room for a day or two.

Be aware that the Pertronix I is prone to burn up if you use a coil system
with less than 1.5 ohms resistance. The Pertronix II uses a 0.625 Ohm coil
and the Pertronix III uses a 0.032 Ohm coil. You can burn up the Pertronix
unit if the coil has too little resistance. In a pinch, I've used a ballast
resistor. BTW, Pertronix now seems to have fixed the quality problems they
had a year ago with their coil suppliers. However I do not know if bad parts
are still in inventories.

I'm heading out in a couple days for the races at Monterey & have a
Pertronix in the SCF Tiger. We went through almost a season before we
debugged our Pertronix problems. (One example: Installed new coil out of box
& had intermittent high RPM misfire. Replaced with another identical new
coil out of box and problem fixed. "Intermittent" coil returned to Pertronix
where it tested good!) Right now we still keep our fingers crossed.  :-)

On the other hand, if you don't use your Tiger for trips or reliability
isn't a major consideration, the Pertronix is not a bad choice.

Buck Trippel