[Tigers] Fresh bumper assemblies complete

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] Fresh bumper assemblies complete
From: Rollright@aol.com
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 18:58:07 -0500 (EST)
Hello,

Jim Armstrong here. Frequent readers may remember that I started on a
project of putting together a complete set of new
bumpers/brackets/over-riders/bumperettes/buffers and all associated  parts.
The goal was to create a totally complete system where I could unbolt  the
old from the car and bolt the new bumper system on. I want to share some
techniques that may be helpful to someone trying to refresh their car in a
similar way.
    First the straightforward stuff: get a spare  pair of bumpers and get
them re-chromed. When back, paint the inside of the  bumpers with a
rust-preventive paint. I used Eastwood Rust Encapsulator, Gary  Fish used
POR-15. Get
a spare set of four overriders and get them re-chromed.  Re-chrome prices
paid were $ 200 each bumper, and $ 55 for each bumperette.  Prices will vary.
Paint the inside of the o-riders too. A note about  the earlier, sturdier
over-riders I picked up. They have a thick plate of steel  brazed inside that
is threaded 7/16 20 AF. Very nice and easy to  use.
    I used a bench grinder with a wire brush and  prepped a set of the
curved aluminum or whatever curved face on one side  flat on the other
"distance
pieces"  then sprayed with a acid-etch primer.  Bought new chrome-face
bolts from SS (they have a carriage bit underside  and a bit of a curve facing
the bumper face.) VERY good quality, and  they come with VG hardware but no
flat-washer. Bumper brackets were purchased  from SS, good but not as good as
NOS. Used the NOS. Assembly was very pleasant,  but I needed to come up
with my own info on fixing the overriders. Parts manual  is missing data on
fixing hardware for the unusual overriders. Turns out that  7/16 20 AF 1.5"
works here. Use bolt, through a split lock, then washer  against the bracket,
bolt goes through bracket, thru curved/flat "distance  piece"  into the
threaded over-rider (held on the other  side).

    Two things about the overriders, old or new  style. Assembling on the
"finisher strips", I found the easiest way to assemble  these is to cut to
length, and glue onto the edge (I used Pliobond found at  Ace Hardware). That
way you are not trying to fight them during assembly.  Let dry for a couple
of days to get them really stuck on. Much easier. Next is  the new clip that
now is available from SS, ET 50C, which holds the buffer metal  tabs really
securely. This is in lieu of bending the tabs over which  is much less
satisfactory. I've done it both ways. These work great. BTW:  assemble the
buffers on the over-riders before mounting on bumper. Its easier,  though it
can
be done after assembly.

That's it, job done. If anybody wants a picture of the unusual
over-riders, let me know and I'll send.

Jim  Armstrong
Mk 1A
382002083