[Tigers] World's Fastest Sunbeam Activity Report. Part 1

To: "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] World's Fastest Sunbeam Activity Report. Part 1
From: Larry Mayfield <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 22:02:57 -0800
Part 1
I thought it was time to let the list know of my plans for this year
with the TWFS.  2010 saw the flying mile speed of the old Slug exceeded
with a top speed of 210.779 mph.  I plan on entering the car at the
World of Speed in September this year with a new normally aspirated
small block motor.  The motor is a 5 bolt bell housing 260 circa 1963
vintage.  I know that far more 260 moors were in Tigers than the 289
version so I chose that for  the new bragging rights event on the salt
flats.  One of the goals is to show just how much horsepower can be made
with the 260 configuration and then how well it will perform. I will be
using an engine dyno this time around though since the last time I went
to a chassis dyno, I ate a set of V rated tires when speeds wen above
that, lol.  But this motor wold not have come about without teh express
assistance forma couple of list members: Sandy Ganz and Owain Lloyd (who
is currently off fooling around driving in the London to Capetown rally
in a Mercedes).  Sandy provided me a lot of hardware: lightweight 4340
rods, roller rockers, roller lifters and an extreme energy cam from comp
cams.  Owain split the cost wih me for a set of new Air flow Research
AFR 165 heads to put on the motor.  These are seriously generous
contributions and they are mightily appreciated!  Two salt racers donate
blocks, one of which was unfortunately damaged beyond repair.  And it
had the best bore, dang it.  The second block has been align bored,
decked and final bore finished to 3.810 inches.  You will notice that I
have not mentioned pistons: that's because they are basically
unobtanium, lol.  custom pistons are in work as we speak.  The
compression ratio being planned for is 14:1!  That kinda puts this motor
out of the street driven daily driver class...

see part 2

mayf

--
drmayf