[Tigers] World's Fastest Sunbeam Activity Report. Part 2

To: "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] World's Fastest Sunbeam Activity Report. Part 2
From: Larry Mayfield <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 22:04:00 -0800
Part 2
The induction system is a home cooked version. I am using a highly
modified SBF truck lower manifold which has large runners and is nearly
a direct shot at the intake vales on each runner. I ported the dickens
out of this lower manifold and polished it quite a bit. It was port
matched to the AFR intake opening on the heads.  The upper maifold is a
new piece of my design and supports a massive 95 mm throttle body.  I
think of this manifold as a linear tunnel ram.  The crankshaft has
received attention also.  I destroked it! I was trying to maintain a
final displacement less that 260 cubic inches and so I had the crank
destroked to 2.84 inches. Not much, but, keeps final displacement just
under 260 cid.    I polished the crank some before the machining
operations and when it is returned i will be neutral balanced. Ie, no
external weights. I am not happy with having large lumps on the ends of
the crank  because thos impart bending moments into the crank.  I have e
neutral balance flex plate and will get a damper that is neutral
balanced also.  Balance will be through the use of tungsten slugs welded
into pockets int eh cranks counter weights. The rods that the Professor,
Sandy Ganz, provided will make this a long rod motor with what should be
lots of torque. Rpm will be kept below 6500 though.  One thing that is
pesky is the use of my 989 Performance Automatic AOD transmission. 6
bolt tranny vs 5 bolt bell housing pattern... yeah there is an adapter
available...for a mere 695 dollars! So I have fabricated my own.
Actually pretty simple.  One last part to fab and that is done.  The
drive train from the bell housing back is identical to the one used in
2010.  I am gong to obtain new Bonneville tires though. 440 dollars
each..ouch!

see part 3

mayf

--