Re: [Tigers] Tigers Digest, Vol 4, Issue 37

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tigers Digest, Vol 4, Issue 37
From: Theo Smit <tsmit@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2012 16:12:18 -0700
I've had Hella halogen headlights on my tiger since the day after I got it
home. They, like all the other replaceable-bulb lights, shield the direct
output from the bulb such that you get more light on the road and less in the
oncoming drivers' eyes than the old-school incandescents.

The power requirement for these lights is the same as for regular
incandescents so as others have said you don't need to upgrade the wiring to
use these lights... All the same it's a really good idea to go through the
headlight connections and fix any that are damaged by corrosion or road rash.
I am running the headlights through a pair of 30 amp relays so that the
headlight switch doesn't have to pass the full headlight current, and also
have a circuit breaker in series.

I made up my own wiring for that but I did use some painless relay sockets.

Best thing to do is to tackle the headlight wiring as part of a general wiring
upgrade where you also relay the horns, and add a fourth relay for the
ignition switched stuff. That will save your ignition key switch in the long
run.

Theo