Re: [Tigers] Tail light reflectors

To: <larryall@pacbell.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tail light reflectors
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 16:38:41 -0500
Larry
        I just saw an article in Auto Restorer on tail lights.  They used
Semi chrome polish on the reflector and Halogen tail light bulbs.  I believe
Tiger Tom has stated that you need to chrome plate the reflectors to get
bright tail lights.

        I took a look through some of my spares and I notice I have a couple
different styles of bulb holders.   One has  what is now a corroded aluminum
reflector, possibly chromed, captured under the bulb holder at the bottom of
the steel cup.   The other style just has the bulb holder at the bottom of
the steel cup, the steel cup looks like it has a bit of a reflective surface
but not chrome

        If you have those aluminum reflectors, I'm not sure you can do much
with them.  You might be able to find some chrome reflectors out of a
flashlight that might work.   Remake the reflector out of polished Stainless
steel.

        If you just have the steel cup, steel can be polished and clear
coated, chrome them, powder coat chrome or try some of the new chrome spray
paint on the market now.  I have no idea how good the powder coat or chrome
paint products look.

        Halogen bulbs would probably be OK.  You just have to make sure the
Halogen bulb does not get too hot and melt the plastic lens or burn the
chrome paint if used on the steel cup.

Ron Fraser