Re: [Tigers] Tigers Digest, Vol 4, Issue 97

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tigers Digest, Vol 4, Issue 97
From: John Stithem <mai65tai@sonic.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 17:34:10 -0700
> Hi Gary,
I had the exact same problem with my Mallory Dual point (have since converted
it to a Unilite but not because of this problem--I just like the Mallory).
Same symptoms--got it to run well but had to reset the timing almost every
time I took it out because it would run bad the next time I started it up.
Then it started to happen while driving it.
I went through many of the potential fixes you have and couldn't find the fix.
I had to keep resetting the distributor. What I finally found out was after
each drive the rotor would end up in a different spot. I found this out by
looking where the rotor would sit at TDC after each resetting of the timing
then taking it out for a run. This happened many years ago and my memory is
not the best --- but to the best of my recollection--There is a set screw at
the top part of the upper shaft (just below the rotor) If that set screw is
even a little loose the upper part of the shaft (where the rotor attaches)
will rotate slightly on the lower part of the shaft (where the cam gear and
oil pump shaft are). If the upper part moves at all it will throw the timing
off---in the end my was being thrown off by one while spark plug lead (which
sounds about where you are now).

Let me know if this solves the riddle.

John Stithem
P.S. Get rid of the points and go to the Unilite conversion if you want to
keep the Mallory.

Spring