Re: [Tigers] Timing deviates - advice needed

To: rfraser@bluefrog.com
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Timing deviates - advice needed
From: Larry Mayfield <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 20:07:20 -0700
Cc: 'Pointers' <gpointer@telusplanet.net>, tigers@autox.team.net
Ron,
yep, I agree. But the issue is not when or where the timing chain
sprocket went from plastic to metal, but, rather to simply remove the
timing cover and inspect it first hand.  Arguing over the dates is
pretty much moot.  Gary's dizzy is an odd ball. While it has dual
points, it has only 4 lobes on the points breaker cam.  That means that
each set of points has to open the coil and yet have enough dwell to
charge the coil.  Since it has only 4 lobes then each set of points must
be primary for collapsing the coil field for spark Set up must of
necessity be some sort of difficult.  Especially if someone has monkeyed
with it in the past, although Gary has indicated that the dizzy worked
fine for 17 years this way.  I lean to some one within his neighborhood
letting him borrow a stock 260/289/302 dizzy and giving it a whirl.  Any
takers out there? I don' t have one to loan him or I would do it for
free....

In any case, I am off my soap box now and going back to hibernation, lol...

Gary, good luck with the timing issue: I will monitor the list as usual
and see how it resolves. You have lots of good ideas to validate or
verify the problem. I would use Pareto's law and sort the problems that
way.  In reality, there are only a few things to do: check the timing
chain and sprockets, check the dizzy drive gear and cam drive gear,
check the damper to see if it has slipped on the elastomer, check the
dizzy by temporarily replacing it with a known good one from a stock
ford of that vintage, check the ballast resistor for proper connection
although I doubt that one and it was my idea, lol, prime the carb with
fuel and see if the motor will fire and run.  I would also pull all the
plugs and look at them as well since the car sat foe some time. Remove
the valve covers and see if any valves have stuck in the open position.

Have fun with this!

Larry  aka mayf

drmayf
Worlds Fastest Sunbeam, period.