Re: [Tigers] Car Shipping Question

To: tigers@autox.team.net, Thomas Witt <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Car Shipping Question
From: <awtiger@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 16:23:44 -0400
Steve:

I've shipped two cars in my time and I used "Passport Transport" both times.
Yeah, they're expensive...but this is an area in which the saying "you get what
you pay for" really means something.  Years ago, I had a 1965 Shelby G.T. 350
shipped from Los Angeles to Dallas, where I lived at the time.  It came in an
enclosed truck and the driver was very professional in the way he handled the
car.  Then, just about a year and a half ago, I bought an '89 Saleen Mustang
out of North Carolina and had it shipped to my current residence in Edmond, OK.
 Once again, it wasn't cheap, but the car arrived in style in an enclosed
truck, just like the Shelby had years ago.  Just like my prior experience, the
driver knew how to handle stuff like this and was used to taking great care.
In both instances, my cars arrived without so much as a scratch on them.  They
didn't even really need to be washed!

The only other experience I've had with an auto shipper was when my
father-in-law had his '55 Ford F-100 pick-up shipped to our house prior to
their move to Oklahoma a couple of years ago.  He chose the shipper (can't
remember their name) based on price and, when the truck arrived at our house,
it looked like it had been through a war zone.  The transport truck was open so
the F-100 was filthy from top to bottom.  On top of that, they had at one point
had the truck on the bottom level of the transport truck, underneath another
car.  Whatever car was over the F-100 decided to pee oil all over the hood of
the F-100.  I worked my butt off to try to erase any trace off oil of the hood
before my father-in-law showed up.  To this day, you can still see a faint
outline where it was.  If that had been my truck, those folks would have had a
problem on their hands.

If you can't pick up the car yourself and you want to ensure that it is well
taken care of on its voyage, it's probably going to cost you more than you
thought you'd spend on something like that.  I guess it's kind of like the old
Fram commercial..."You can pay me now, or pay me later..."

Best of luck,
Andy Walker
B382001600LRXFE
TAC #740