Re: [Tigers] Car Shipping Question

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Car Shipping Question
From: "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2012 20:47:52 -0700
Something dawned on me after I sent my initial reply. If anyone has seen the
TV show "Shipping Wars" you can probably get a taste of what the broker
route is like.  Shippers bidding down to get the job, then executing the job
with marginal ability and equipment - haphazard and all.

I'd also like to add that though I recommended traveling, then renting a
truck and trailer I have also read horror stories about that. I requested a
10' box/van as all I was intending was to tow the trailer (the truck being
empty). The 10' box/van is the smallest U-Haul allows for their auto
trailers. Again I read stories of 325,000 mile trucks that shook like crazy
over 45 MPH, breakdowns that took days to resolve and even situations where
the 10' van was all that was needed..., but the only thing the lot had
available was a huge 24' truck.

Somewhat apprehensively I entered the Bayshore U-Haul lot in San Francisco.
Much to my surprise was a 10' box/van with a mere 7,000 miles on it. They
had the trailer attached and waiting for me. The yard guy treated me as if
it was "me" who was giving him his next raise. Most amusing was that about
six people migrated out of the office to have a look at my... 1973 Pinto
station wagon. They looked on and marveled like it was..., well..., Shaq's
stretched Lambo.

FYI, U-Haul was significantly cheaper that the others by about 30+%. Gas
mileage wasn't bad at 13 MPG with a light foot and 55-60 max MPH.

Tom