Re: [Tigers] Lumax driving lights

To: arado7@sbcglobal.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Lumax driving lights
From: genepadgett@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2012 21:58:53 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: tigers@autox.team.net
Your mention of driving lights has tweaked my curiosity. I have looked from
time to time in the Tiger Archives for information on mounting brackets but not
been particularly successful. Do you have the lights made by Lumax for Rootes
with"Rootes" in the len's metal center? Or just the regular Lumax lights that
have "Lumax" there but are otherwise the same?

There seems to be two mounting systems out there. Some prior posts in the
Archives mention there are brackets that are left hand and right hand specific.
I know Lucas made a set of brackets for their own lights that mount the lights
straight up from the bumper mounting bolt (after some bends on the way up past
the bumper of course). There must be some other brackets, perhaps by Lumax,
that move the light somewhat inboard of the bumper mounting bolt location
(making them left and right hand specific). Thus they also bend on the way up
plus have an offset. If one looks at some of the UK magazine 1960's original
road tests of either Tigers or Alpines, the lights on the cars also look like
they mount lower than where the Lucas lights end up being. Unfortunately I do
not have any of the actual articles, just the odd picture from ebay article
sales of road tests to base that on.

If I may ask, how do your light brackets look to be made and how high do the
lights seem to be (say wrt the len's center being at, above or below the grill
eyebrow chrome strip directly behind the light)? Any place I could see a
picture of the front of your car?

Thanks, Gene