Re: [Tigers] MK II wiring help

To: rfraser@bluefrog.com
Subject: Re: [Tigers] MK II wiring help
From: genepadgett@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 15:48:13 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: tigers@autox.team.net
Ron, I know you are looking for direct information from a Mark II owner and I
do not have a Mark II. But if worst to comes worst, I would say wire it the
same as a Mark 1A. I cannot see how it makes a difference if the current is
coming from an alternator or a generator once it is converted to direct
current.

The Mark IA wires the ammeter between the battery terminal on the regulator and
the battery terminal on the starter solenoid. That effectively wires it
directly between the controlled output of the regulator to the battery. It is
directly in the path to the battery with full power flowing through it. I
suspect the Lucas or Jaeger ammeter is made to function that way. I would bet
that the 60 inch or so wire from the ammeter is about long enough to get from
the ammeter to the starter solenoid. Is it connected to the ammeter? If it is
meant to go to the starter solenoid, it would be connected to the output
terminal of the ammeter.

There would need to be a much shorter wire connecting the ammeter input
terminal to the "A" terminal of the alternator "control box". I believe the
factory original alternator "control box" is in the same general location as
the generator regulator is mounted, is it not? How the wire gets back through
the firewall from the meter to the starter solenoid I have no idea. When the
dealer installed mine back in the '67 they just spliced it into the factory
wire that went from the regulator to the starter solenoid on the engine bay
side next to the regulator. I would expect that original factory wire on my
Mark IA from the regulator directly to the solenoid is in some wire loom under
the dash going to the passenger side of the car and then into the engine bay. I
can have a look if you would like.

Gene