Re: [Tigers] Anti-Seize on Spark Plugs

To: Curt Hoffman <choffman9@cinci.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Anti-Seize on Spark Plugs
From: genepadgett@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 05:50:09 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: tigers@autox.team.net
Sender: tigers-bounces@autox.team.net
Curt, my gin and tonic is encouraging me to reply :>)

I intended my post to focus on the real objective of determining "how tight"
the plug should be. Torque is a proxy for that clamping force and for a given
clamping force objective is a variable depending on the lubrication or not on
the threads. As you seem to agree, lubricated threads, having lower friction
between them, will turn further before stopping at a specific torque. However,
the lubricated installation will have a greater tension in the plug body, being
stretched more. Or so I submit.

Perhaps you can rationalize your view with ARP specifying lower installation
torque for their head bolts depending on whether the threads are lubricated or
not and what is the lubricant..

As for Harley specifying anti-sieze, I submit that they, like ARP, have
determined what is the desired clamping force (i.e., stress within the plug and
sealing objective) given the effect of the specified lubricant and written
their spec accordingly. Not unlike ARP and their head bolts.

To the extent that anti-sieze is in any way a lubricant is a separate question,
but I subjectively submit it has some lubricating properties above zero.
Whether it is materially different than dry is a totally different question.

Cheers (!)

Gene