Re: [Tigers] Brake Mystery - The latest

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Brake Mystery - The latest
From: "Stu Brennan" <stubrennan@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 20:30:21 -0400
Just for chuckles I checked the rears, both seem fine.  So back to the front.
Sound was the first clue.  You know that slight scraping noise of pads just
touching the disk?

Present on the left, absent on the right.   Hmmm.

The next sound clue was a pop as I forced one of the right side pistons all
the way in.  A pop?  What pops?  Then I saw a little fluid dripping onto the
floor.  Extracted, the pad looked wet.  It appears that the diskbs
performance was degraded due to lubrication, with my pricey silicon fluid.
There must be a very small leak in one of my new (last summer) caliper seals.
Not enough to drip when the pedal was depressed, but it slowly filled up the
outer boot, and squished out when the piston was forced in.   Must have been
leaking a bit all winter, dampening the works but not enough to drip down the
inside of the tire.  I check for that before moving it the first time in the
spring.

So Ibll be on the phone to Rick as soon as he opens tomorrow.  New seals,
both sides.  So much for driving during British Car week...

Stu