Re: [Tigers] Water Wetter

To: stubrennan@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Water Wetter
From: genepadgett@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2012 23:40:08 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: tigers@autox.team.net
Stu,

I forget where I picked up the following info, perhaps on the water wetter web
site for one, although I have seen it in several places.

We should not equate the higher boiling point of a 50/50 AF mix with better
cooling capability. While such a mixture has a higher boiling point than water,
such a mixture actually absorbs heat less efficiently than water. Water is
better than such a mixture at stripping the heat out of the motor than the AF
mix. so it is a better coolant. Of course it has the disadvantage of freezing
sooner. I believe if you check the water wetter recommendations, they do advise
adding an amount of antifreeze to street driven cars. While it drops the
freezing temp of the mixture, it also cuts down on the cooling efficiency
compared to what it is without the AF in it.

As the effect of a pressure cap raising the boiling point off coolant, I have
read that others get by quite nicely with only a 13 lb cap. I do not know just
how much the extra pressure raises the boiling point of water, but the 13 lbs.
is a lot friendlier to the Alpine heater core we all have. And again, if the
water and water wetter coolant is doing a better job at cooling the engine, you
do not need a higher boiling point but less efficient AF mixture.

Also, one of the potential problems I have read about with aluminum radiators
is the possibility of metal degradation due to electrolysis. Supposedly one way
to deal with that is to have a sacrificial zinc anode in the coolant system.
Apparently many of the thermostat housings we use are made of zinc and will
perform that function quite well. At least until they erode away!

BTW, as I recall reading the bottles, Royal Purple's version of water wetter
says not to use distilled water with their product. Very curious.

Gene