Re: [Tigers] My understanding

To: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>,C And J <cjcoffel@sonic.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] My understanding
From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@comcast.net> rmin.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 00:08:47 -0500
Cc: "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>
References: <50c7f30d.2679.0@thecia.net> <BB96C0E3-6A96-4879-8F1C-48CE5712C76B@sonic.net> <7495733F0DF7644CBABA4EA216EF4E1506C8DC@OLAWPA-EXMB02.ad.garmin.com> s=q20121106; t=1355288989; bh=2PnZSCV5qHH5khtmzdVRcO404nNpqAjtTicxkpkzavw=; h=Received:Received:Date:To:From:Subject:Mime-Version:Content-Type; b=Gubx6WMzMtRH0n/F7vU1hWusID7BS7LGtliI6X/O1P3aJLC/nyr463wlwaVzW+e8v Fr5HhKVMLFCUoLWS7MB59t2/0ao4Fp/GCVhy5/lforscf0jPZKvVQ8/F1n4MQaOTax rjIHpcAVKrlNncvUTxc3L7C9TdFxR4Q1iS823gy0iIIQ4H4O2UAjLIr+TQCWIJNk1q QZIx+t0pxyiBECBzIeT/E3yzUcS7ICwQJAatxc6YETBvS5r2hx2s15vMzk8e+apNl5 j+pVEeY6fBQPo1+o9+eUSdImAIXlveXWIFE05dswtRaiEjYDyLpsIXYNVFBONv1ZY8 PkHTZkGj6ibCA==
At 11:40 PM 12/11/2012, Smit, Theo wrote:
 >Tiger authenticity, when bidding on an auction offering, has to do with
fair
 >and legal representation of the car in
question. Nothing more or less. I don't
 >know what Al's original concern was that he brought up the question, and he
 >hasn't waded back into this quagmire to rescue us. The particular car being
 >offered is rough around the edges and shows signs of less than ideal
 >stewardship through its existence, but the pictures, to my eye, don't show
 >anything that would make me worry about its chassis not being a Tiger since
 >day one. Having said that, if I was interested in the car, I'd find a way
 >get down there to see it in person or else get someone to do that.

I believe that what the original fellow was
saying is that too many Tiger owners are Greedy
Guts who simply want desperately to save their
dollar investment and to treat their ownership as
if it was an unmarked Swiss bank account.   The
Tiger List tends to involve only three kinds of folks::

First, there are those who are only concerned
with the cosmetics.  "how do we fit a poppit to secure the convrtiible top'?

Second, the greedy guts:  'this car is my legacy
and oh I am so very, very, very frightened that I
shall have to deal with crossbreed!' It is almost
a racial matter once it is seen in those lights.

Third, how to hot-rod a Tiger.

On other British car lists, the dynamic is just
different and tens to run along the lines of
preserving old cars.  It is a different universe,
even on our affiliated Alpine list.

Go figure!

Be well and Merry Christmas to all.

Marc