Re: [Tigers] 260 CID Cam

To: "A. C. Tynes" <v8tracker@gmail.com>, "johnp@ciseast.com" <johnp@ciseast.com>, "Carmods@aol.com" <Carmods@aol.com>, "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] 260 CID Cam
From: Tony Lang <achd73@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 08:23:20 -0800 (PST)
In refrence to the GT40 heads. Several years ago, I invested in a new set
from a Ca. speed shop, having new and larger stainless valves installed with
matching valve springs, new roller lifters, had a new set of CAT headers
coated and ceramic lined-- I would love to recoop my investment as the spark
plug holes with the headers bolted on(just a couplebolts- so I cant comment on
ability to tighten all the bolts) DO NOT allow me to isntall spark plugs. I
also should have waited to have the headers coated until after an intial fit
on the Tiger. I could have had aluminums with a bit more $$$ spent BUT had
read about all the increase HP from the GT40 heads and alumin ones where
pretty expensive at that time- SO, if anyone is interested I have a great set
of brand new GT40P heads- suppose I should have mentioned the "P" as they are
supposedly improved over the orginal GT40 heads. Cheers!!! TtT

Tony Lang
(TtT)

<v8tracker@gmail.com>
tigers@autox.team.net
>Sent: Saturday, February 2, 2013 9:12 PM
>Subject: Re:
[Tigers] 260 CID Cam

>John and John, et al
>
>I can't imagine going to the
expense of rebuilding an engine and not converting
>it to roller lifters and
roller rockers. The parts cost a little more, but it
>is really simple to do.
You get the advantage of reduced engine friction and
>eliminate the whole
"breaking in the cam" problem. You also get the advantage
>of using the latest
and best cam lobe designed for your purpose. See the last
>paragraph about
changing the firing order, which is also simple.

>John Logan, this applies
especially to your friend since he is going to have to
>buy new hydraulic
lifters anyway.

>I have heard that roller rockers may not fit under stock
Tiger chrome valve
>covers, but the Ford roller rockers I have in the Tracker
engine fit fine under
>my ribbed stock cast aluminum "Power by Ford" valve
covers, but you would have
>to check for yourself. Those look like the finned
"COBRA" valve covers I see on
>a lot of Tigers.
>
>John P., you may run into a
problem with the GT40 heads. The header bolt
>locations are the same as other
Ford heads, but the aftermarket header pipes
>seem to be located slightly
differently and there are differently shaped stock
>exhaust manifolds for the
GT40 heads. You may have problems getting to and
>tightening the header bolts.
There are special headers made for the GT40 heads,
>but I don't know how they
fit a Tiger. Otherwise, you will save yourself a lot
>of trouble if you put on
the headers before putting the engine in the car.

>For general information,
however, remember that the 302 uses two different
>firing orders and thus not
all cams for the 260 and 289 will be usable in the
>302 or vice versa. The 351
Windsor (and the Cleveland?) uses a different firing
>order from the 260, 289
and earlier 302's. The later 302 firing order was
>changed to match the 351,
but I am not sure when the change was made. I have
>seen it written that the
change was made in 1995 and also seen where it was
>made when the 302 changed
from carb to fuel injection.

>Of course, you can use any cam in any engine
as long as you match the firing
>order to the cam. The Tracker 302 originally
used the old firing order, but I
>used a Ford E303 cam with the new firing
order and moved the spark plug wires
>around. Works like a charm.
>
>HTH,
>A.