[Tigers] dry ice blasting

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] dry ice blasting
From: Rollright@aol.com
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 10:19:18 -0500 (EST)
Full-name: Rollright
Hello,

When I bought my Tiger in 1976, I didn't realize how rusty it was under
that brand new coat of paint.
in 1979, the rocker bubbled and I tapped the area with my finger. Right
through...
So, all around the car fresh metal. Cost nearly as much as the car. Another
 complete paint job and rust removal after being hit in the rear in  2000

The trunk floor had been painted (when I bought the car) with a tarry
substance to cover the surface rust there. Over the years, I've thought about
haw to tackle the trunk and bring it up to the standard of the rest of the
car.  Recently, I committed to an attack. In the last month I tried  chemicals
(paint thinner, lacquer thinner, then acetone) and just made  a mess. Then
tried a stiff putty knife in a cold garage and got  down to rust and
original paint. But, this approach would take forever and leave  the paint,
rust
and traces of the tarry stuff. I thought about media  blasting but the
resultant "stuff'" would be there for ages. And get painted  in.

This weekend I stumbled on a new (to me) system of blasting: Dry Ice
blasting. This would make the now dried-out tarry stuff very brittle and take
the trunk area down nicely. And no residual media (Black Beauty, glass beads,
and the like) to worry about.

Anybody done this? Any comments?

Jim  Armstrong
Mk 1A