Re: [Tigers] Generator to Alternator Conversion

To: Jay Laifman <jay.laifman@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Generator to Alternator Conversion
From: "Rense, Mark (GE, Appl & Light)" <mark.rense@ge.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 20:18:35 +0000
Accept-language: en-US
Cc: Joel Martin <jmartiniii@yahoo.com>, Tiger List Serve <Tigers@autox.team.net>
Jay, You are correct if you order the alternator with the indicator (82101-2
with indicator light), the charging circuit is energized through the light. On
a true 1-wire, there is a voltage bias sensor inside the alternator that
triggers an internal switch to open or close the circuit. On these
Powermasters, the alternator will not "switch on" until the alternator begins
to rotate above a couple hundred RPM and stays on until the engine stops. When
you shut the engine off then that same switch shuts off the circuit so you
don't bleed current and drain the battery. On a 3-wire alternator, the circuit
is triggered by the ignition switch energizing the charging system through the
indicator circuit.

If you don't need a generator light and/or have a voltage gage then get the
1-wire version, simple enough for even us Mechanical Engineers to install!

Bugz