Re: [Tigers] Spring startup

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Spring startup
From: Theo Smit <tsmit@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 19:34:03 -0600
The integral solenoid on my starter draws something like 20 amps. That
was enough to soften the insulation on the white/red wire going from the
ignition keyswitch to the starter, and it ended up touching another wire
and shorting to it. This is what killed my autocross at Suni V... if
Jeff's starter is anything like mine, it should be wired using one of
the little Bosch cube relays to keep the current draw through the
ignition switch at reasonable levels.

I have my MSD 6AL wired with the heavy power wire going to the junction
point that replaces the OEM remote solenoid - it's where the heavy brown
wires terminate in the OEM wiring. The ignition switched wire (small red
wire on the MSD) goes to the 'run' position on the keyswitch; that would
be the white wires on the OEM color scheme.  I use the reluctor sensing
on the MSD so the white wire is insulated and taped off; Jeff should
check that whatever triggering scheme he's using, the other wire(s) are
properly insulated and not shorting against anything.

Theo