Re: [Tigers] Unusual Vapor Lock

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Unusual Vapor Lock
From: Larry Mayfield <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 07:04:39 -0700
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. If the pump is close to the tank,
and they are, then if it runs fast, it is not getting fuel to pump. Only
two ways for that to happen: junk in the line between the tank and pump
or vacuum in the tank. Since there is a tank breather hose that connects
to the filler neck main hose, the cap would be the suspect preventing
air from replacing fuel as it is removed from the tank causing a vacuum
in the tanks.   Vapor lock occurs from the pump forward.  I had a
Mercury Capri, a 1972, that started doing this and no one I took the car
to could solve it. I finally drilled a 1/4 inch diameter hole in the gas
cap...problem solved, although not an option for Sunbeams. Interesting
also that  if the tank was full, it would occur more often. That's
because there was very little air in the tank an it wouldn't take long
to create a vacuum. Nearly empty and it would run without issue because
air cold slowly seep in to back fill the used fuel.

mayf

drmayf
Worlds Fastest Sunbeam, period.
204.913 mph flying mile