Re: [Tigers] Unusual Vapor Lock

To: Stu Brennan <stubrennan@comcast.net>, Tiger Net <Tigers@autox.team.net>, e.coiner@cox.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Unusual Vapor Lock
From: <awtiger@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 15:08:25 -0400
Erich, et al:

This happened to me on my Tiger a few years back.  It was very confounding and
caused me to expend considerable amounts of time trying to figure it out.  In
the end, however, the problem came down to a combination of having leftover
winter-blend gas in the Tiger and me trying to drive it on a pretty warm late
spring day and into the summer months.  It spit, sputtered, died, left me on
the side of the road until it cooled off, etc...all of this happened several
times, while I was trying all of these different remedies being mentioned here
to fix it.  As it turned out, however, the problem went away when I drained the
tank and refilled it with with fresh summer-blend fuel.

The lesson that I took away from my situation was to always remember that the
fuel that is refined nowadays is formulated for cars that run high-pressure
fuel injection systems.  Boiling fuel in a modern fuel injected car is unheard
of anymore, but it seems to happen with alarming regularity now with
carburetted cars of old where the fuel systems are under very little pressure.
As time goes on, I think modern fuel formulas will play an increasingly
significant role in the drivability of carburetted cars.  Just my .02 worth...

Andy Walker
Edmond, OK
B382001600LRXFE
TAC #740