Re: [Tigers] Relays, ignition switch and starter solenoid

To: Jay Laifman <jay.laifman@gmail.com>, Tiger's Den <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Relays, ignition switch and starter solenoid
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 00:55:46 +0000
Accept-language: en-US
Hi Jay,
You're correct. The solenoid is a relay. I've never measured the resistance of
the Tiger's starter solenoid but I think the current it draws is probably
within reasonable bounds for the starter switch and wiring. The mini starter I
have in my Tiger has a built-in solenoid that also acts as the Bendix drive
engagement and it draws about 20A. This is enough to soften the insulation of
the standard wiring... and it will eventually then short to something more
significant, usually at a bad time (such as a SUNI autocross). Thus, it's
probably a good idea to have a relay driving this kind of solenoid or at least
to bump up the wiring from the stock 16 gauge to something more beefy.

Theo

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any attachments are for the sole use of
the intended recipient(s) and contain information that may be confidential
and/or legally privileged. If you have received this email in error, please
notify the sender by reply email and delete the message. Any disclosure,
copying, distribution or use of this communication (including attachments) by
someone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. Thank you.