Re: [Tigers] Tiger charging normally until you turn headlights on

To: Tiger Man <tigerman67@hotmail.com>, "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tiger charging normally until you turn headlights on
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 22:08:45 +0000
Accept-language: en-US
First check that your ammeter is working at all and that it's wired properly.
With the ignition off, turn on the headlights. You should show about 10 amps
discharge. The horns should also draw about 6-10 amps if they're adjusted
properly, IIRC. The spec current draw for each horn is given in the factory
manual.

It does sound like your regulator isn't doing the job. For proper charging,
the ignition system voltage needs to be about 13.5 to 14 volts when the engine
is running; you can check this with a voltmeter. Turning on the lights should
not cause a significant voltage drop. I'd expect to see a couple of amps of
charge current even at idle, and more immediately after you've started the
engine. If it won't charge unless you rev the engine, maybe check the
generator brushes?

If you have sudden cutouts then maybe something isn't grounded properly. Check
the ground connections on the engine to chassis, from the generator to the
chassis, and from the battery to the chassis. Are your headlights operating at
full brightness? When the engine cuts out, do the headlights suddenly dim?
This might be hard to check without a helper...

Theo

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any attachments are for the sole use of
the intended recipient(s) and contain information that may be confidential
and/or legally privileged. If you have received this email in error, please
notify the sender by reply email and delete the message. Any disclosure,
copying, distribution or use of this communication (including attachments) by
someone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. Thank you.