Re: [Tigers] Tiger charging normally until you turn headlights on

To: "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tiger charging normally until you turn headlights on
From: Tiger Man <tigerman67@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 14:04:10 -0600
Just thought I would post a followup in case anyone ever has a similar problem
and goes searching through the emails.    And also to thank people on the
board for the help.

 I checked the ammeter, and it zero and calibration seemed very good
(ignition off I think headlights showed about 10-12 amp discharge).

As several people mentioned to me on the board, the petronix is particular
about its voltage.  Even though there are docs that say the 12V petronix will
work down to 8V, the tech at pertonix mentioned that the module is very
sensitive to low voltage, although he didn't comment on what 'low voltage'
meant  But just a partial discharge due to poor performing charging system and
the headlights seems a bit oversensitive.  I guess the module still worked,
but having it cut out abruptly at night for a second is enough to make your
heart stop for a second as well.  I believe I still have a set of regular
points hanging around in the car in case it ever dies on me completely.

I found a new voltage regulator locally in stock in one (and only one) local
auto zone.  Most of the rest of the stores did not perform the parts lookup
correctly online or even in the store there were alot of suggestions that
weren't even close (used a 64 v8 falcon as my target vehicle).  While looking
at it and where it needed to go, I was thinking that the screw nearest the
firewall was going to be a real pain and thought I would notch the voltage
regulator so I didn't have to take the screw all the way out next time.
Taking the old one out, and guess what the previous owner had thought the same
thing and that old one was notched and much easier to slide out.

Put the voltage regulator on the car, and followed the instructions to ensure
polarization of the generator (field wire off and touch to bat terminal I
believe, which is ford specific) and then fired the car up, and it charges
great and the headlight no longer bring it into discharge, and the car no
longer misses.

So glad it was such a simple fix, but I think this is the first time I have
seen a regulator that 'sort of' worked, I've always had them fail completely
when they fail.

Thanks,
Steve