Re: [Tigers] Pertronix / MSD Coil

To: <rfraser@bluefrog.com>, 'Thomas Witt' <atwittsend@verizon.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Pertronix / MSD Coil
From: Don Antilla <fast427@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2013 09:45:09 -0400
Tiger Guys:
 I talked with Pertronix Tech Support about a year ago re the installation
requirements for the Ignitor 2. I can confirm Ron's statement that
Pertronix strongly advises that you provide 12 volts to the module and to
not run the 12 volts through a ballast resistor. That made sense to me.

Also, if any enthusiasts plan to use the Ignitor 2, be aware it has a more
sophisticated microcontroller than the older Pertronix modules, and
requires that you use radio resistance spark plug wires and specifically
NOT to use copper core unsuppressed plug wires. I asked the Tech guy the
rationale for this and he said it reduces the possibility of
electromagnetic interference getting into the Pertronix module. The Tech
guy said it could cause bad performance and possibly damage the Ignitor 2
module.
I think this is good guidance to follow and I installed black Taylor plug
wires with what look like factory spark plug boots with 135 degree angles
on the boots to clear the exhaust system better. The Taylor rep was very
helpful in setting up black 600 degree wires with the 135 boots.
Note: You should inspect your cars and decide if you want straight/ or 135
degree/ or 90 degree boots and ask Taylor to fabricate a set to your
needs. Taylor was reasonable in their pricing to me to do this.

I did not discuss the Blaster coil so I can't add any insight re that
particular coil.
I CAN say that you need to be careful where you buy a new coil; there have
been verified reports of overseas coils failing early in their life. Try
top find a coil made in the US if practical.
I had that exact problem with an overseas coil that went intermittent
after 5 to 15 minutes of engine operation. Took weeks to isolate the cause
of the engine stopping. I had to do a lot of troubleshooting, including
mounting a second coil on the intake and when the engine stopped, I
swapped to the original coil.
Problem gone- engine ran well so I kept the original FoMoCo coil in the
car (a Series 200 Griffith).
Don Antilla