Re: [Tigers] Gears and rpms

To: Gary <maliburevue@yahoo.com>, 'Tiger's Den' <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Gears and rpms
From: Sandy Ganz <sganz@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 20:20:58 -0700 (PDT)
Yeah, it's not like the lower gear of the wide ratio boxes but for the most
part I think time is spend more shifting through the gears then starting out.
It's not all that bad even with the close ratio gearbox that's in the car and
stock 260, so my goal was to have just a little better out of the hole but not
the main focus. I'll likely be running something like 15" rims with 225-50's
and something in the 3.54:1 if I use the D44 that I have in the car (have the
gears and diff to swap out). My intended use is not freeway or cruising so
having it buzz is not a concern. I also have a new 347 motor that winds up to
about 7200 so for track use all seems to be ok which is more the focus with
light street work to the Friday night malt shop.

Might step back to a 3.23
but not sure since I have the 3.54 gear set. I had a Tremec TKO in another car
and hated the way it shifted and the gear ratios, I ditched that for a Tex
Racing T101 with close ratio and fell in love with the way the car drives
again. I have a spare T101 that I was going to cram into the tiger but the
gearbox is much larger and would be a sheet metal problem.

David Kee was
very helpful when I called years ago and I think I have a good set up with the
2:44 first, but when I look at the numbers with a high numeric rear ratio even
the stock close ratio would be ok.

Sandy