Re: [Tigers] Fast Back Alpines/Tigers

To: drmayf@mayfco.com
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Fast Back Alpines/Tigers
From: Jay Laifman <jay.laifman@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 19:25:54 -0700
Cc: "alpines@autox.team.net" <alpines@autox.team.net>, "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>
I've always thought the Harrington cars were a bit odd.  The lines of the back
of the roof was either too bubbly or too abrupt or too droopy.  But there was
ONE I saw that I always thought was "spot on."

Ironically, it was not actually a Harrington, but someone's addition of a roof
to a stock bodied Alpine.  There are pictures of it in the Alpine Horn, the
magazine of the UK Sunbeam Alpine Owner's Club - the 118th issue, October
1998.  I happen to still have the issue.  If anyone wants scanned pictures,
let me know.

I tried to find the owner and find out what he did.  But I was never
successful.  At one point someone suggested it was a roof from another car,
but wouldn't say which one.  For some reason a Datsun/Nissan sticks in my
mind.  I think he also welded a windscreen frame to both, for more rigidity
and less weight.  The lines all work right.  The rear quarter window comes to
a point in the back, like an Aston Martin GT.

Of course, I also really liked the real Le Mans Harrington Alpine, with the
scoop/covered headlights, a la XKE.  Not to be confused with the production
Harrington Le Mans, with the droopy rear end and no fins.

Jay