Re: [Tigers] Tach Question...

To: Jay Laifman <jay.laifman@gmail.com>, Larry Mayfield <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tach Question...
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 16:40:35 +0000
Accept-language: en-US
Cc: Tiger's Den <tigers@autox.team.net>
The TEAE article shows the wrong side of the loop going through the block

if done that way, there isn9t really a loop.

This sketch on my website depicts the OEM wiring. The wire goes through
the block twice, to make one loop.
http://members.shaw.ca/tsmit/tachmod/tachmod3.html#stu

The OEM tach circuit (with points) may have been somewhat insensitive to
the loop orientation - it probably depends on the dwell. With my tach
module the circuit is definitely sensitive to the loop orientation (and it
has to be as shown in the sketch), but it works with Pertronix and other
points-replacement devices as well as stock points. The OEM tach circuit
doesn9t handle the extended dwell time that you get when you go to a
transistor-switched ignition.

Cheers,
Theo

On 1/16/2014, 6:08 PM, "Jay Laifman" <jay.laifman@gmail.com> wrote:

>Ha!  99%.  It is my very vague recollection that the plastic piece that
>held the loop had an edge that would fit into a slot in the tach so that
>it
>would fit only one way.
>
>But, I guess you might be saying you relooped the wire through that
>plastic
>piece.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any attachments are for the sole use of
the intended recipient(s) and contain information that may be confidential
and/or legally privileged. If you have received this email in error, please
notify the sender by reply email and delete the message. Any disclosure,
copying, distribution or use of this communication (including attachments) by
someone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. Thank you.