Re: [Tigers] California license plate sequence

To: 'Brian Glenn' <ora_archy@yahoo.com>, 'Tiger List' <tigers@autox.team.net>, Buck Trippel <bucktrippel@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] California license plate sequence
From: Douglas Lyle <douglasalyle@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 15:56:58 -0700
Found this while researching the subject for my car.    My 67 Alpine that was
sold in 68 had a plate starting with V.  Do a search on images of California
cars from any given year in the 60's and you will see a variation in the
letters the plates start with for that given year.

The California black
plate was the first plate the
state has issued that has remained in
circulation, prior to that plates
were replaced every few years, 1951 and
1956 were the recent times. In
1963 every vehicle in the state was issued a
new plate starting with
AAA000 for automobiles and A00000 for commercial
(trucks). To see these
plates on a vehicle use to signify that a vehicle is
an original
California Car and has been in the state its entire life (for the
most
part, more on that later).
There are a lot of misconceptions about these
plates and I hope to clear some of those up. In 1963 every DMV office was sent
a stack of plates to be issued as part of this replacement
run, at that time
one might have been able to determine a county based
on the sequence but
aside from that California does NOT have series
assigned to particular
counties. The initial release of plates used up
everything from AAA to about
RDA, it is virtually impossible to
determine the proper sequence for a 1963
or 1964 vehicle as they were
caught up in the mass reissue of plates.
In
general it is commonly accepted that the plates
ran out near the end of 1969
so it might be possible to see a 1970 model year car with a black plate
(trucks through 1971, more later.). On all
plates in California regardless of
where the letters fall the numbers
change first then the letters so you have
AAA000 b AAA002 through AAA999 b AAB000.
In any system you will always see
vehicles that are
older that the sequence, this can happen when it is brought
in from out
of state or needed replacement plates for some other reason. You
should
never see a plate that is too old for the vehicle this is a problem
that you will see with YOM (Year of Manufacture) programs where you can put
old plates of vehicles that qualify.
Understanding the distribution one can
better select a plate that might have been issued to the vehicle when new.
This list outlines approximate sequences based on issue date not model year
        *
1963 b AAA b RDA
        * 1964 b RDB b SDR
        * 1965 b SDS b TEH
        * 1966
b TEI b UGC
        * 1967 b UGD b WEI
        * 1968 b WEJ b YCH
        * 1969 b
YCI b ZZZ

MrMopar.com

Doug Lyle

MrMopar.com
California Black Plates YOM (Year of Manufacture) Process Vehicles not in the
system and Nonresident Vehicles (from out of state) Reassignement of plates
(to vehicl...
View on www.mrmopar.com Preview by Yahoo