Re: [Tigers] Valve Cover Removal

Subject: Re: [Tigers] Valve Cover Removal
From: ironbeast <ironbeast@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2014 07:47:13 -0500
Cc: "<tigers@autox.team.net>" <tigers@autox.team.net> s=q20140121; t=1414932435; bh=Qc3RjDdGoc1s0Qj7Q7hvSh/cO+bOcDXriQvC+3Q3Txc=; h=Received:Received:Date:Subject:Message-ID:From:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=GrqsYEFitjLc2OXDOESiEx/HGzineIdiooifo9SFa/iZC7xsXYf2iFhvVxV6StFpc dHoxkKgO7PA9BJtZksrge++Kp5eNDIvX/3b9Q+IbVB4AbtsB7yZNK/KCB6YwLHN0/k 0nRZdpxfBMB+Vre0DikX2xsEu+A7FF3+9ZEwjzmPQmUCQH3gJJ5l+Ysg1nIOr+gAO1 gNWxsg4noaRXPifwjVwlBLfsKNDNi6eQmVtY2WSIAATe7yAUPahlRtmMpfFYp/CRBy BvV/WMUALnlWUF/+wHWQfp0DDmSvJMbKk53fspfQ6yW/YGQrvoofmiOdW8UCk1qSOx fF6QwIf/lV5Dg==
You can definitely get it off without lowering the engine if B you haveB
The stock rockers. I can't remember the exact sequence but I think you need to
tip the cover to the side of the car rather than trying to pull straight up.
Once the back inside corner of the cover clears the valves it comes right out.

If you haven't done this already I recommend the silicone cover gaskets with
the metal core such as fel pro perma dry #vs13264t.
Besides sealing better they stay put during installation. B

<dave@munroe.ca> </div><div>Cc: "<tigers@autox.team.net>"
<tigers@autox.team.net> </div><div>Subject: Re: [Tigers] Valve Cover Removal

Sent from my mobile device

> On Nov 1, 2014, at 11:21 AM, Dave Munroe <dave@munroe.ca> wrote:
>
> Hi Brad :
>
> Condolences.
>
> I have the similar alloy valve covers that have Tiger on them.
>
> I had an exhaust manifold bolt spit out on the driver's side, (you are lucky
your leak is on the pass. side!) and the gasket damaged on a trip, and
couldn't get at it until I returned home to my garage and the myriad of
special tools I have made up to get at the spark plugs on the driver's side.
Everything on that side had to be removed to get at the ex. manifold,
including the valve cover.

> I had to remove the valve cover to remove the ex. manifold gasket, as the
cover hangs out over the edge of the cyl. head, and wouldn't allow the gasket
to pass by.

> That rear allen head bolt was a bugger. I got it out with a 1/4" drive allen
key with a couple of short extensions and two universal joints.  Ron's tip to
blow out the hole is a good one. I was fortunate that I had installed the
covers with ARP allen bolts, as they have a deep socket hole, into which I
stuck some aluminum foil to make the key a tight fit, so it wouldn't drop off
the key when it cleared the hole.

> Getting the cover off was another problem, but with some patience and finely
honed Chinese puzzle skills, it  can be removed. Just keep at it and try not
to scratch that cool cover too much!

> Also, a good trick with Small block Ford valve cover gaskets is not to
tighten up the cover bolts too much. Barely finger tight and a bit is enough.
The steel covers distort easily and rise up almost out of contact between the
bolts. The alloy ones crack very easily. It's amazing how well they seal with
very little pressure.