[Tigers] Steering rack question

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Steering rack question
From: "Andy Walker" <awtiger@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 23:20:25 -0600
Hey, guys:

Well, the restoration of my Mk1A is proceeding slowly but surely.  At this
point, I'm just basically waiting on paint to dry before I can finish
assembling the front suspension, which leads me to tonight's question
concerning the steering rack.  Mine is in good shape except for the fact
that it's a bit dirty and seems to have some leaks from the bolted-on cover
plates at the bottom of the steering shaft area, and also at the
football-shaped covers that nut onto the front of the rack (one on each
side).  All I plan to do is to clean the rack and then remove all three of
these plates and make and install new gaskets for them.  I'm sure that
someone out there has maybe tried something like this before and I would
just like to know if there are things I should watch out for when performing
this task.  Am I asking for trouble doing this or is it pretty
straightforward?  I must admit that, even though I've owned Tigers since
1979, I've never had a steering rack apart on any of them.  Therefore, I'm
certainly interested in reading what you all have to say.

Thanks,

Andy Walker

Edmond, OK

B382001600LRXFE