Re: [Tigers] Steering rack question

To: tigers@autox.team.net, Andy Walker <awtiger@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Steering rack question
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 16:32:22 -0800
References: <000501d006dd$306ca530$9145ef90$@cox.net> s=q20140121; t=1416789148; bh=vyNm0FatCEE7byN/dsRbgOmh+ci1nQv6Piiv9R4bTXw=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:Date:From:MIME-Version:To:Subject: Content-Type; b=f3A3TDNvoQlUvrIJXx4ZKRqKlvu97BOWVQ69VI+XTIKxIhrm5cmEZWyCnKUvPWbHS 8uBQh0IS7zDbdbnFQG80bLdtRVtvUKpXvL0ilmLjfN/c6d9QQQ0Wn9YQzW2YKOq3JK cpSHH2S0EIh60BYqpVCZBpp9iKgmAFvo4qpyznqbZUhheCCXrO+gzaL8dUtJ42RlkH SJUT42tc6/sUIesjePBu/sKRS4LjO+NKZcF5mtoAKiXd8Zoo1E+1Eqk+45fNBnmTlf q0EP33YN8N8a6Ee0KMNPvUqm7BdpBK2XgcBtNPpz20iOsOIhTR/55vFEF4uLnRJ6LK YjOPqXXdXaSfw==
On 11/22/2014 9:20 PM, Andy Walker wrote:
> Hey, guys:
>
> Well, the restoration of my Mk1A is proceeding slowly but surely.  At this
> point, I'm just basically waiting on paint to dry before I can finish
> assembling the front suspension, which leads me to tonight's question
> concerning the steering rack.  Mine is in good shape except for the fact
> that it's a bit dirty and seems to have some leaks from the bolted-on cover
> plates at the bottom of the steering shaft area, and also at the
> football-shaped covers that nut onto the front of the rack (one on each
> side).  All I plan to do is to clean the rack and then remove all three of
> these plates and make and install new gaskets for them.  I'm sure that
> someone out there has maybe tried something like this before and I would
> just like to know if there are things I should watch out for when performing
> this task.  Am I asking for trouble doing this or is it pretty
> straightforward?  I must admit that, even though I've owned Tigers since
> 1979, I've never had a steering rack apart on any of them.  Therefore, I'm
> certainly interested in reading what you all have to say.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andy Walker

So you know, there are shims under the rack pinion bushing (the
"football" shaped cast iron piece on the bottom of the pinion) and the
top cover plate.  They are there to set clearances and adjust the
tension on the pinion.  Actually your likely to find both shims and
gaskets.  The gaskets can tear when you remove these plates. The other
cover plate on the right side is for adding oil and should have only a
gasket.  The oil will also run out of the rack from the open hole under
the pinion unless you position it to prevent this from occuring.

Typically I reassemble these pieces with RTV between the dissassembled
layers, which essentially squeezes out the unneccessary quantity on
re-assembly.  I would recommend this as opposed to attempting to replace
the gaskets.   If you do drain the rack, it only takes a cup of 90 wt
gear oil to fill it up.  I've done hundreds of rebuilds so let me know
if you need any help.

--
Tom Hall
ModTiger Engineering LLC