Re: [Tigers] Air cleaner choking?

To: Bob Hokanson <tgrrr@frontier.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Air cleaner choking?
From: Jay Laifman via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 13:25:15 -0800
Cc: Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
It looks like Bob had it.  I could not see any sign of the flap/butterfly
hitting the underside of the air cleaner top.  But there were very obvious
round circles where the vent tubes rose up.  And those tubes seemed
slightly higher than the flap.

The car ran just fine after that - with the nut looser than it was.

Now my only problem is that when I leave the nut loose enough to not push
the top down on the tubes, it continues to get loose, until it will come
off.  So, I need to make some sort of tube that will go around the mounting
bolt which will allow me to tighten down the nut firmly, but not to where
the tubes or flap have issues.

I don't know Holleys.  I'm assuming those tubes are the intake/vents where
the air goes into the idle/main needles to get the air mixture.  If so, I
wonder if it makes sense to cut them down a bit, just to make sure there is
enough clearance.  Ironically, on my Webers on my Porsche, there are
aftermarket tubes that people ADD there, so that oil and other gunk doesn't
flow down into the idle jets through the air passageway which is otherwise
flat on the top of the carb.

Jay