Re: [Tigers] List delay question

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] List delay question
From: Mark J Bradakis via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2018 03:24:41 -0600
On 10/22/18 2:15 AM, steve wick via Tigers wrote:

> I don't often post to the list, mainly because there seems to be a
> delay between when I send a response and when my response hits my
> mailbox. Recently I posted a response to a question and it was about a
> day and a half later that my response appeared in my inbox. By then 6
> other people had responded with essentially the same answer and the
> discussion had moved on. Am I the only one experiencing this?

Yes, there is a delay in mail processing in the server.  Usually on the
order of 2 - 3 hours, maybe 4.  I would LOVE to know why it happens.  I
have looked into it before, and have been meaning to delve into the
problem more deeply.  I don't know if it is a software issue with
Postfix or Mailman, or if it is a hardware issue with a bad hard drive
that takes a bazillion retries to write  a file.

With the archiving problem mostly sorted, perhaps I will up the priority
of investigating the delays.  A day and a half is a pretty excessive
delay, more than I have experienced.  The machine on which I read Team
Net email is on the same wire as the server, a few feet apart. I've
never seen more than a few hours delay.

I'll look into it some more.

mjb.