RE: Moving to New Jersey

Subject: RE: Moving to New Jersey
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 03:25:24 -0700
Cc: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
FWIW, California used to require a tailpipe sniffer test on all cars that
changed hands within the state, even those that had no requirement for
emissions equipment (like my 59 TR3A).  NJ may well still be requireing
sniffer tests, even on 'pre-smog' cars.

I was scared silly of the test the first time, and got the emissions down
so low that the computer rejected the test saying there must be an exhaust
leak.  Re-tuning to normal produced a second test that passed with flying
colors.  Subsequent experience with other cars (and a motorhome) seems to
indicate that, unless there really is something wrong, a healthy engine
should pass with no trouble.  Since the test is done at no load, and
doesn't include NOx, most performance enhancements don't hurt, either.

Unfortunately, some problems require an exhaust gas analyzer (smog tester)
to fix, while the average smog station drone around here is prone to ask
"D'ya wan fries w'that ?" (if indeed they speak Ingles at all).
 Fortunately, I've found one of those "free retest" places that doesn't
seem to mind my doing my own work.

Randall