Re: TR with OVERDRIVE - Do's and Don'ts

To: Graham Stretch <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Subject: Re: TR with OVERDRIVE - Do's and Don'ts
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 22:44:45 -0600
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>

Graham Stretch wrote:

> Hi All
> I guess it would have pretty much the same effect as when I did an almost
> perfect double declutched down shift in my Herald, Fourth to Second at about
> 70 MPH, the rev counter hit the stop things got loud then quiet. When I
> rolled to a stop the engine was still going but I had no drive. Got towed
> home and took the box out and found the clutch embedded on the inside of the
> bell housing! Hence the reason I said almost perfect, it would have been
> perfect if it had been a tadge slower and not blown things up!

When I was much, much younger and attending the unofficial drag races
set up on the air base at which my father was stationed, I remember one
enlisted man finishing a run in his fairly new Olds 442, then walking
over to some acquaintance, who asked him, "why the 442? Wasn't the
Corvette faster?" "Yep," he said, "but I hit an expressway downramp at
120 and thought I was going a bit too fast and, without thinking, went
from 4th to 2nd... sort of welded up the whole engine, and the dealer
gave me a good trade on the Olds."

Cheers.

--

Michael D. Porter