Re: TR6 Brakes

To: jh_davis@mindspring.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Brakes
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 20:52:55 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 8/16/00 7:29:03 PM EST, jh_davis@mindspring.com writes:

> ...My guess is that fluid is moving past the seals in the m/c, but since
>  they are so expensive to replace, I'm hoping some one has some
>  suggestions of other (less expensive) possible causes.

That would be my guess as well.

> I've not had much
>  long-term luck with rebuilding m/cs. Has any one had a rebuild last much
>  longer than 9 months to a year before internal/external leaking
>  occurred? I haven't.

Admittedly, I've not yet rebuild a TR6 master, but I've done many of the very
similar GT6+/Mk3 and Spitfire Mk3/IV/early 1500 cylinders and have had them
last as long as anyone would have the right to expect. At this moment in my
driveway is a friend's MkIV Spitfire on which I rebuilt the m/c about ten
years ago; still seems to be ok. And I've rebuilt single master cylinders and
had them last (so far) 17-18 years. FWIW, I'm a Castrol GT/LMA fan, but I
don't really know why silicone fluid would produce markedly different
results. And PLEASE let's not go into that debate! :-)

--Andy

Andrew Mace, President, The Vintage Triumph Register