Re: Frozen clutch & lost key

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Frozen clutch & lost key
From: Steven Newell <steven@cravetechnology.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 13:48:06 -0700
Cc: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>, Chris Wilson <chris.wilson@rcn.com>
Chris:

> Message text written by "Chris Wilson"
> > I lost my keys!  Well after the clutch froze and I starting working on
> > the body - I lost the keys. ...I cringe when I read the factory
> > manual about "backing out the shear bolts" - any tips?
>
> Dave Massey wrote:
> The steering lock cylinder is held in place with two "break-away" screws
> who's heads are broken off after installation.  You can cut some slots into
> the now featureless heads using a Dremel (R) tool and a cut off wheel and
> remove the screws with a flat blade screwdriver.  Then you can take the
> whole thing to a locksmith who can make new keys.
>
> You can put the lock cylinder back with regular fasteners for future
> convenience. (Don't worry about theft.  The only folks steeling these cars
> won't be detered by the steering lock anyway)

I bought a Dremel for my wife this Christmas (don't worry, I went to Tiffany's
too <g>) so I'll do this next time. But when I did this for the '72 BMW 2002
when the ignition lock cylinder seized, I backed the shear bolts out with a
hammer and a [long pointy thing you use in metalworking, can't remember
the name]. Also, I didn't use shear bolts for reassembly, same thinking as
Dave.

--
Steven Newell
Denver, CO