Re: Stuck Engine Still [Practical Classics]

To: Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Stuck Engine Still [Practical Classics]
From: Steven Newell <steven@cravetechnology.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 09:58:25 -0700
George Richardson wrote:

> Jim, if you're still trying to turn over the engine without having put a
> good deal of penetrating oil into the cylinders and letting it soak,
> you're probably going to damage the engine. Put a good deal of oil into
> each spark plug hole and let it soak for a day or two at least. The
> piston rings are very likely rusted to the cylinder liners, and if you
> try to hard to turn the engine, the rings may break and damage the
> liners....

Jim, in the latest Practical Classics I read a nice article on diagnosis
and, to a lesser extent, unstuckification of old engines. It's part of a new
series for the mag that [off the top of my head, the copy is at home] will
help readers figure out what's worn out, and how badly. So they started
with old engines, either found in a car or in a parts yard. Might be a
good read for you.

--
Steven Newell
Denver, CO