Triumph prototypes

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Triumph prototypes
From: Will <tr6@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 20:01:52 +0000
A quick thank you to all who replied to my question about the Zest
prototypes, especially the current owner of the last of these cars. I
have replied off list to most people, but thought I'd put a short
note here for anyone interested.

Zest number 1 was the well documented TR4 prototype, with the Herald
coupe hardtop.

Number 2 was a combination of Zest 1 & Zoom body styles, and became
the TR4, (I have seen several references to this car, but don't know
anymore about it).

Number 3 began as a TR4, & was fitted with a 2 litre triple SU engine
for testing. After the 2.5 litre engine had been chosen for the TR5
this car was sent to Milan for body styling work, (even though it did
not have an IRS chassis). It survives today. (Incidentally Triumph
asked Michelotti to restyle the rear & he used a Kamm style squared
off tail).

I gather that a Zoom prototype is undergoing restoration & that Fury
has also survived. If anyone knows if the Ginevra prototype survived
I'd love to know. I do find it surprising that so many of the
prototype cars survived, and that they were sold of to the public
through a dealer.

Thanks again to everyone who responded,

regards,
--