Re: [TR] Re: Miatas

To: d spence <dkspence@telus.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Re: Miatas
From: Bob Labuz <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 21:50:47 -0400
On Tuesday 06 June 2006 09:44 pm, d spence wrote:
> What's wrong with Miatas?
>
> Well, they like japanese motorcycles, are nasty reminders of what the
> british motor industry could have evolved to.
>
> Think BSA/Triumph/Norton upright twins. Great machines that leaked
> prodigious amounts of oil, shook incredibly and required a lot of
> maintenance.  When in "good nik"
>   they were a joy to ride. On the other hand....
> Now think Yamaha vertical twins. The early ones were good clones, even
> to the vibration.  Then they added a balance shaft and developed from
> there to todays superbikes.
>
> Cars? Well look back on the Datsun Fairlady. An OK copy of an MGB,
> right down to the copied SU carbs.  Driven a Nissan sports coupe
> lately?  A Honda roadster?
>
> The Miata is what the Elan could have been. Just as much fun but
> without the maintenance issues. They handle well, especially when
> equipped with some fat sticky rubber. They have pretty, technically
> advanced engine bays. They have one hand tops. etc. etc.
>
> What's wrong with Miata? It has reneged on one of the pivotal roles of
> the Sports Car. That being, the requirement that you know your vehicle
> intimately so that when she lets you down, and she will, you have the
> knowledge and the boot full of spares to get her running again.
>
> That's what is missing in a MIata. That certainty that at any given
> time you will be sitting at the side of the road, muttering and cursing
>   because your English Lady has let you down again.  That and that quint
> british ritual, "The Sunday Morning Topping Up Ceremony".

Well yes the Japanese cars and bikes did bring the Triumphs (cars and bikes)
down by the early 80's but Triumph bikes have re-emerged even better than
their current competitors. Triumph motorcycles have a great reputation for
reliability and they have that Triumph look and feel. They are unique with
their own character. My '98 Tbird is more reliable than my 2002 Vue! And it
does not use or leak any oil. And at over 50 MPG + a motor with torque so you
can chug it at 30 in 5th yet be able to twist the throttle and be at 60 in a
heartbeat.

Now as far as the older bikes and cars, they can be made to not leak oil. New
gasket materials help alot. I have a few drips from my TR3 but almost none on
my 74 T140V. Once Mr. Wagner completes his design for a silicone sump gasket,
I am sure that will be the end of leaks on my 3.

The Yamaha 650 is a Triumph clone but a Triumph is a Triumph. I have driven
the Yamaha and it is a good bike but my Triumph is the original. The Yamaha
is a copy, a good one but a copy. Very similar to the Miata and the Lotus
comparisons.

Bob,

  Currently with a 58 TR3A, 63 TR4, 1974 T140V (Bonneville) and 1998 TBird
T-3. If I could only expand the garage to fit one more what would it be???

===     http://www.vtr.org