[TR] RE: Miatas

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] RE: Miatas
From: Steve Myers <mountainunicycle@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 22:15:47 -0700
Personally I'm extremely grateful the Miata came along. British
roadsters were dead long before the Miata, and the Miata managed to
singlehandedly bring back the entire segment--small, light, fun to
drive roadsters--that we can enjoy both now and in the future.

I thank the Miata for the Z3, MR2 Spyder, SLK, S2000, Solstice--no
wait, not the Solstice. ;) And perhaps a resurgence in convertibles
in general.

Interesting side note. When I was due for an upgrade of my daily
driver recently, I thought, wouldn't it be fun to have the same
thrill of my TR6 in a reliable daily driver? I went and test drove an
MR2. Fun car, yes. But nothing like the experience of the TR6. At
that point I realized it was the visceral experience that was
missing--the MR2 was quiet and sterile feeling. So I drove a friend's
M Roadster.. wow, that was visceral *and* modern. Unfortunately I
need a trunk and bike racks, too, so I went with the 99 coupe
version, but overall it does have that same raw, visceral feel of the
TR6, although I do miss the smell of gas. Plus it looks damn
reminiscent of an MGB GT--an admitted inspiration of the designers.
Thanks Miata!

Steve

===     http://www.vtr.org