RE: [TR] stator tube

To: "barry papaleo" <bpapaleo@distributel.net>,
Subject: RE: [TR] stator tube
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 15:54:05 -0700
> I am installing my refinished and overhauled control head in my
> TR3A and it
> looks like I may have a problem with the stator tube.  The top end of it
> appears jagged and only goes into the short tube on the control
> head about a
> 1/2 inch, so, I'm thinking that it may be broken off inside.
> Could someone
> tell me how far in it's supposed go and what is the purpose of
> the notches on
> the small tube?

The notches should be on the larger tube, the one that is attached to the
control head and fits over the stator tube.  They are supposed to engage
with the slot in the stator tube, so that the two tubes can slide somewhat
relative to each other, but not turn.

>  Also, if it happens to be a broken stator tube
> has anyone had
> any luck with a fix short of replacing it?

I've not tried myself, but I've seen several cars where someone else's
repair didn't hold up.

Last I heard, Mark Macy was supplying new tubes, but none of the other
vendors were.
http://macysgarage.com

You might be able to fabricate your own, but keep in mind that both inside
and outside diameter are important.  Most tubing has thicker walls.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org